Monday, July 22, 2013

Natural Vs Synthetic Fibres

Which Saree Material Works For You?

(Yes, Very Wordy)

This past weekend I wore my sarees (no pics, and there's a story why which I will tell at a later time) and I have to say I am now a firm natural fibre type of girl.

I discovered that natural fibres have bite. What is bite? For me, when I drape the saree correctly it stays in place no matter what I do from driving to dancing. Synthetics, not so much. It was like jell-o being nailed to a tree as I fought with the fabric to stay in place without the aid of pins, and no, I will not pin my saree.  

With the Bengal Handloom everything stayed where it belonged and no other adjustments were needed the entire night, even after a one hour drive to the event, and an hour back home. With the faux chiffon, it slid all over the place and I had to adjust and retuck at least five times. 

So, my verdict is cotton and silk, yes, synthetic, no, no, no!

By the way, since I'm plump (fat), it is "recommended" I wear chiffons, georgettes and synthetics. I'm not going to do it. I say, "Wear what you love!" As for me, I will stick with my cotton handlooms!

Natural Fibres
Pros: simple designs stay in place, easy to pleat
Cons: wrinkle easily


Synthetic Fibres
Pros: huge variety of design, wrinkle free
Big Con: doesn't stay in place, must use pins

These are the most basic conclusions I discovered for myself.  Everyone is different and results will vary, so continue to wear your sarees and discover for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment