Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Gujarati Style

Seedha Pallu 

I'm left handed and when I wear a saree Nivi style, guess what? The left arm is a bit hindered, and if I have to reach for something, oh boy, it's musical drapes for me. Also, I don't want to pin my saree, nothing worse than pin holes in a fine saree. So, after a bit of searching (good ol' Google), YouTube, and a book to clarify it, I have discovered to my delight the Gujarati drape.

The Gujarati drape or seedha pallu has a lot of advantages: you can admire your pallu, both arms are free to move around (yay!), the pallu doesn't get caught in doors, can easily pull it on your head, it's not that complicated to drape, and it's a different style from the well known Nivi. However, there's a drawback: it doesn't have the romantic flow of the pallu behind you as with the Nivi. 

Give the Gujarati Style aka Seedha Pallu a try, and, check out, or better yet subscribe to Hennafied's video on YouTube. It's a great, no, FANTASTIC video and gives step-by-step detailed explanations on draping styles!




No comments:

Post a Comment