Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Patola

My Love Affair With Gujarati Design Continues ...


It's becoming more and more obvious that I have a thing for Gujarati style (bandhej, the drape, etc., etc.). As for the Patola, I will admit to seeing these sarees, but didn't know anything about them.  I thought they were just prints, just prints? I was really, really, wrong.

The search for Patola sarees started with a small picture, and after some searching  I came across Gurang Shah's 2013 Show. Oh, the things he does for sarees!

The Patola saree according to sources, and I quote, "are a double ikat woven saree, usually made from silk, made in Patan, Gujarat, India. The Patola is the plural form-singular is patulu. They are very expensive, once worn only by royalty and the aristocracy, they are popular and in demand from those who can afford them."

In American dollars they can range from 145$ and up, up, up-and they are worth it-silk, and carefully handwoven (months to years)-that's something you want in a masterpiece.


So, sit back and enjoy the richness of the Patola.


Kirron Kher modeling for Guarang Shah at a 2013 show.






No comments:

Post a Comment