Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Saree Obsession


For the Love of Sarees

I love sarees. No. I am obsessed with sarees. Sure, this is a sentiment shared by many, and I am no exception. I love sarees, I dream about sarees, and I wear sarees about the house.  I can't go into the fine details about how this obsession with yards of fabric came to light, but it started simple enough- a wedding.

Some years ago, more than I care to recall, I saw my first saree at a wedding. You see, a good friend got married -to a bum, if I might add-and, no, she wasn't in a saree, it was a wedding gown. Yes, it was a beautiful gown fit for the beautiful person it was on,  but the clothes that stole the show was a guest in a simple, red silk saree. To be honest, there was nothing extravagant about it, no zari, no buti, no embroidery, no blingy jewels, but it was so exquisite and elegant. Sure the bride looked like a princess, but this guest in her red, silk saree was the queen of the ball.

I was in love and I never forgot that day.  Sure, being from a college town I have seen the Hari Krishna in handkerchief like sarees of soft pastels, but that red saree was seared in my brain. I fell hopelessly in love and searched for anything about it's history.

Over time I won a few auctions on ebay, managed to snag a magazine called Libas, purchased books, bookmarked websites, but it wasn't enough. I needed sarees. Then one day as I was browsing an ad for an internet store popped up. Let's say the rest is history and my wallet is lighter but closet filled with beautiful sarees. What a lovely tradeoff. 

So, I plan on searching the internet and posting images of this work of art for me and all to enjoy.  Maybe not everyday, but enough to be satisfied.

What about your saree obsession?

No comments:

Post a Comment